Sunday 30 August 2009

Jeff Simmons: Naked Angels OST

So I picked this LP up a couple of weeks ago from Borderline in Brighton. It's the score to some old Roger Corman biker flick from 1969. Jeff Simmons played bass with Zappa's Mothers Of Invention at some point. Whatever. The album, it probably won't surprise you to learn, largely consists of heavily fuzzed funk-rock, in the contemporary style. Sorta sits somewhere between Dennis Coffey and Dave Allen & The Arrows. It's pretty good. Actually its really good in places. It just isn't gonna change your life. I'm a sucker for this sorta thing and happy to get suckered outta some bucks for it, but I guess you might not be. 'Naked Angels Theme' is the standout track, a full-on buzz-saw attack with a killer break. If you wanna invest in a really great biker movie soundtrack album, I'd recommend you go with Les Baxter's 1970 'Hells Belles' OST, which I already wrote about here. So I guess if you already read the 'Hells Belles' post, you didn't really need to waste your time reading this review of a less impressive album. I mean, that's two minutes of your life you're never getting back. Look, I'm sorry. If I were you, I wouldn't buy either album. You've already spent a buncha time reading about them - now you're gonna spend money on 'em and sit listening to them as well? Fergeddaboudit. Treat yourself to a nice meal or something instead. Go for a walk. Anything. Just don't sit around reading about pretty good but totally inessential biker movie soundtracks. This whole thing is my fault, really.

No comments: